Monday, November 22, 2010

Squirrely College Park

My mom and dad had to pick up my dad's cap and gown and graduation announcements last week. 

Oh, did I tell you that he graduated from his Masters program in July/August??  Congratulations, Dad!  

So we took a detour to my mom and dad's alma mater after our hike last week to pick them up.  
I came along, which was really fun.  My mom and dad met in college, so I got to see where they went to school -- and my mom even took my picture in front of Testudo for good luck.  By the way, why do people leave trash for Mr. Testudo?  Do they think gum wrappers and empty coffee cups will really help them pass a test or get an "A" on a paper?

Anyway, the best part of the trip, in my opinion, can be summed up in one word:
SQUIRRELS!

There are literally squirrels everywhere.  
Grey ones,
and black ones.  

Who knew squirrels came in different flavors?  My mom had mentioned these legendary black squirrels, but I didn't think that they actually existed. 
 I watched them hop around looking for food, totally unsuspecting.  My mom said that the students feed the furry things.  Silly move.  A squirrel actually came up to my mom and begged for some food.  It wasn't scared of me at all.  Foolish squirrel.  If you lived near me, your days would be numbered. My puppy friends would nibble your fluffy tail for breakfast. 
Here, squirrely, squirrely....
I stood around very politely for a long time, but then something caught my eye.  Oh my gosh.  There are five squirrels right over there.  In one spot!  Mom, did you hear that?  Five. Five as in one-two-three-four-five!  Wow!
My mom gave me a little bit of slack so that I could walk around the grass and sniff around, and then . . .
Must. Get. Squirrel.
... my self-control was gone.   

What is the popular saying?  "Give an inch, take a mile"?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, your mom should have let you catch "just one"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the degree! I do think you should have at least been allowed to have 1 celebratory squirrel :)

    ReplyDelete